This is a healthy Asian chicken and cabbage stir-fry that’s perfect for a quick week night dinner. It’s simple but that’s exactly what we all need sometimes after a long day, and this ticks all the boxes for being fast, easy and delicious all at the same time!
To keep the chicken moist, and not dry and stringy as it can often become in stir-fries, we’re going to marinate and velvet it first. This might sound like a complicated extra step, but I promise it’s simple and takes little extra effort at all.
Quick Marinating and Velveting
Velveting your chicken is the secret to stopping it from becoming dry in your stir-fry. To do this all we need to do is marinate your sliced chicken thigh pieces in a mixture of soy sauce, oil and corn starch (or corn flour as it’s otherwise known here in Australia). Cover and leave this for at least 20 minutes to marinate. This process will not only help to flavour the chicken but will also form a protective coating to keep the chicken tender while it cooks.
After the chicken has been marinated, we can then start to sear to chicken in a wok or fry pan over high heat. Once the chicken has been browned all over (it doesn’t need to be cooked completely through yet as we’ll be cooking it again), we can remove it from the pan, set it aside, and begin to stir-fry our cabbage in that same pan. Once the cabbage has had a few minutes to cook and started to soften, we simply toss the chicken back in and finish cooking it all together.
This process eliminates any risk of either overcooking the chicken or the cabbage and results in a delicious stir-fry that’s still quick and easy to throw together. You can substitute other vegetables for cabbage as well, so feel free to use this recipe as a starting point for whatever kind of chicken and vegetable stir-fry you’d like to make.
How To Serve and Store
Simply serve this stir-fry with a side of steamed rice. If you have leftovers, pack them into boxes with rice and heat them in the microwave for an easy lunch the next day.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you went in the comments below!
Chicken and Marinade
- 500g (1.1 lbs) boneless skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp neutral cooking oil (we use peanut, rice bran or canola)
- 1 tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely sliced
- 350g / 12 oz green cabbage, shredded or sliced (approx. 1/4 of a large head of cabbage)
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Combine the sliced chicken and marinade ingredients into a bowl and set aside for at least 20 minutes to marinate (up to 1 hour).
- Heat a wok or fry pan over high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil once the pan has become hot. Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry for a few minutes until the chicken has browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds before adding the cabbage. Stir-fry for a minute then add the soy sauce and cooking wine. Cover the pan for a few minutes to allow the cabbage to soften slightly and then add the chicken back in. Continue to stir-fry for a few minutes until the chicken has just cooked through.
- Serve warm over freshly steamed rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 13.9ggSaturated Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 800mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 3gProtein: 38.1g
Nutritional information provided is an estimation only and may differ depending on your own individual ingredients