Simple and delicious, this bocconcini salad is the best thing to make on a lazy, hot summer’s day when everything else just feels like too much effort. With only a handful of ingredients and three simple steps, this salad takes only 10 minutes to make! Fresh, full of flavour and so very satisfying, have it as a meal in itself or make it as a side to your next summer barbecue!
What is Bocconcini Cheese and Where Can I Find it?
Bocconcini is a type of mozzarella cheese, shaped into small round balls and can usually be found sold in tubs of brine. Their small size makes them easy to slice neatly into bite sized pieces for salads. In Australia, you can usually find bocconcini balls in the cheese section of your local supermarket. They generally come in two sizes- regular and the smaller cherry/bambini size. I like to use the regular size, but either works fine for this salad.
How to Make a Bocconcini Salad
This salad comes together in just three simple steps:
- Slice your tomatoes and bocconcini balls into wedges and scatter them on a large plate. Try to match the size of your wedges of cheese to the size of your wedges of tomatoes if possible.
- Mix salt, oregano, olive oil and balsamic vinegar together in a small bowl and pour the dressing over the bocconcini cheese and tomato wedges.
- Tear and scatter fresh basil over the salad and season with some freshly ground black pepper and more salt (if required) to taste. Give it all a toss and you’re done!
How to Store
This salad is best made fresh on the day, but if you need to make it ahead, put your salad together first but keep the dressing separate. Refrigerate the salad until needed and dress and toss just before serving.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 220g (1 tub) bocconcini cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slice tomatoes and bocconcini balls into similar sized wedges and scatter them onto a large plate.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, dried oregano, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Using a spoon, drizzle the dressing mixture over the tomatoes and the cheese wedges.
- Tear and scatter fresh basil leaves over the salad and season with some freshly ground black pepper and more salt (if required) to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 19.2gSaturated Fat: 7.6gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 684mgCarbohydrates: 8.9gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Nutritional information provided is an estimation only and may differ depending on your own individual ingredients