Think of this banana slice recipe as good old reliable banana bread’s fun cousin. We’ve got chocolate chips, we’ve got walnuts, and we’ve got small slices to share- all with the same delicious flavour we love but in half the time it takes to make! It’s perfect for when you’ve got guests or if you need to bring a plate to share!
How to Make It
This banana slice is great when you don’t have enough ripe bananas for a cake or bread since you’ll only need two for this recipe. Everything else should look pretty familiar if you’ve made banana bread or cake before, with the addition of chocolate chips and walnuts, as well as cinnamon and nutmeg. These additions easily make up for the fact that we’re using a few less bananas here.
I’ve gone on about my love for slices vs cakes before and it’s no different for this recipe. Not only does it make it so simple to share, but making it in a slice tin means everything cooks quicker too, so it only takes 20-30 minutes in the oven to bake. This is much less than the average time of about an hour for a bread or cake.
The process to make this is fast as well. Once you have your butter melted and your bananas mashed (I use a potato masher or a fork), we simply mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl before adding in the wet ingredients. This all gets combined before being poured into a prepared tray and baked in the oven. Then we just wait for it to cool before slicing it and serving!
How to Store
This banana slice will last up to 3 days stored in a sealed container at room temperature. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you went in the comments below!
- 1 cup (160g) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
- 3/4 cup (160g) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp (60 g) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk (plant based is fine too)
- 1/3 cup (~230g) banana, mashed - from approx. 2 bananas
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F (160°C Fan) and line a 20cm (8 inch) square baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients (melted butter, egg, milk and mashed banana) to the bowl and stir into the dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden on top and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 6.5gSaturated Fat: 2.8gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 23.3gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 14.5gProtein: 2.8g
Nutritional information provided is an estimation only and may differ depending on your own individual ingredients